Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hey you vegetarians....I'm looking at you

I recently watched a Ted talk given by Stefano Mancuso titled "The Roots of Plant Intelligence" in which he makes the argument that plants are living creatures similar to insects and animals.  In his presentation he seeks to raise critical question about the mainstream notion that plants don't have intelligence.  He does so by providing evidence he collected such as comparative behavior when exposed to light as opposed to the absence of light, the way in which a plants roots grow and transmit signals to the rest of the plant- and how these observations seem similar to what is seen in animal behavior and animal brains.

This got me thinking about the idea of soil fertilization.  I wonder if the plants absorb or incorporate into their structure the neurons and axons that are in the soil from of all the dead species of animals, insects, fish, birds, dinosaurs, whatever, that have ever lived.  I then wonder if that is why certain plants contain chemicals that create a neurological change when ingested by humans or even other animals.  I then wonder if this then shapes our human evolutionary course seeing as they are a large part of our diet.  Anyways I think its pretty interesting, here check it out:


No comments:

Post a Comment